Thursday, July 9, 2009

cutie-patooty owl toy tutorial

Okay, here we go. Remember I'm new at this sewing stuff so be nice. ;)
This is what you will need:
* fabric for body of owl, nose, and eyes
* ribbon
* big buttons
* diaper wipe bags or something "crinkly"
* pillow stuffing stuff ;)

Start by cutting 2 layers of fabric for the body of the owl.
I didn't use a pattern, I just drew a square then rounded off the bottom corners and made pointy ears on the top. My owl measured about 10x10inches.
Next I cut out the owl's nose (mine was 3 inches wide) from orange felt and straight-stitched it on.
I used burlap for the first layer on the eyes. They are 2.5 inch circles.

Then brown felt, again 2.5 inch circles.
Then sew on your huge buttons.

I love Joy's owl with the thick ribbon on the sides but I didn't have ribbon that thick and I'm too lazy to run to the store so I just used some thinner ribbon and more orange felt for the wings and pinned them on.

On the back piece of the body I cut and sewed on the diaper wipe bag to add some crinkle when the baby plays with it.
Okay, this is the point I remembered that I was supposed to take dinner to a new family and so
I frantically finished the owl (cause I can't leave a project undone) and forgot to take pictures.
All I did is sew the front and back together (the right sides facing each other) and left the bottom open so I could easily turn it right side out. Then I stuffed it, added some little ribbon legs and sewed the bottom shut.
WALAA!
How was my sewing lingo?
Okay, if you make one I think you should post it on your blog and send me a link cause I want to see!

21 comments:

Lise said...

Thanks for tuorial, I made one but I'm going to try again since it turned out pretty funny!

Lise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Totally cute, I am so going to try these! Thanks!

Cori said...

Awww, I love the way it turned out. I was going to make one of these for my youngest, but I'm glad I kept procrastinating; I LOVE the way you did the wings. I'm totally making one of these for her.

Valerie said...

That is so adorable! I am linking back to you on my blog, thecraftersfilebox.blogspot.com.

Thanks for taking the time to share!!

Priscilla said...

Cute! Hey- thanks for letting me know about the paint. I couldn't remember where I posted that question and with so little time to go online these days, searching took a while. Thanks for your help!!

Mindy said...

Costco wipes...gotta love em!

Jedda said...

We've got 2 little bird lovers here that would LOVE this! Great idea :)

Kristin said...

OK I've spent a lot of time checking out your fantastic blog - just came from today's creative blog. Thanks for all the fun things you share!

seven thirty three said...

I made my daughter a little girl owl... I'm really happy with it. And I also decided to try the same concept on a dinosaur for my son...

You can see it on my blog: 733blog.blogspot.com

Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Linds said...

ARE YOU KIDDING? CANT WAIT TO MAKE ONE! ADORABLE!

Nadia said...

this looks like so much fun... i cant wait to make it!
did you use a knit fabric or a woven one? (if possible can you reply to this question at my email addy .. )

love your blog it is so inspirational! i just subscribed :)

Carolyn Woods said...

Love the owl. I made a few. So fun and easy. You can check them out at my blog. Thanks!!! Great idea.

Joanna said...

These are so Cute!! My Mom made some for my kiddos... Here is the link.
http://gettingcraftyclub.blogspot.com/2009/07/whoo-hoo.html

Skye O. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skye O. said...

whoops on above.

Thanks for fun project. Love my baby girl's new owl. See blog for photo.

Dreamer said...

OK, so it's been forever since you posted this cute owl. I made one months ago, but I have been without a camera...until now. Check out my blog where I posted pictures. Thanks for the inspiration!

Make Bows & More said...

Thanks for this tutorial! Your Owl is Very Cute!
:)

Anonymous said...

this is so adorable! and the addition of both tags and crinkle is awesome! i've included this in my weekly inspiration roundup, blogged here:
http://www.camilledawn.com/2010/07/tuesday-tumblr-5.html

Kristie said...

so cute! i love owls :) i posted a picture of the owl i made on my blog.

http://kristieskrafts.blogspot.com/2010/11/owl-taggy.html

Meet the owners said...

I don't know what you're talking about. You just started sewing? So stinkin cute. I may be making one for my son, now to figure out what material I will use!