Monday, October 12, 2009

My Special Day Chair Cover Tutorial

Okay, here it is in all it's glory...

My Special Day Chair Cover Tutorial!!

First things first my friends.

1. Measure the back of the chair you will be using. Be sure that you measure the height from the seat up and the width on the top and bottom. This is the most important part to assure that your chair cover will fit nice and snug when you are all done.
Add 1/2 inch to all sides for your seam allowances.


2. Trace your letters on to your iron on adhesive paper (heat n' bond or such).
We found a font we liked on the computer and printed it off for our letters.
Don't forget to trace them backward on to the paper side of your adhesive, then iron on your fabric and cut them out.

3. Iron on your letters one at a time and then sew around it.
We went with the couple times around messy look since well, the once around was pretty messy and didn't look nearly as cute!


REMEMBER: Don't get ahead of yourself, make sure you are sewing your letters on before you sew anything else together. Trust me on this one... it will make your job MUCH easier!



4. Now for the 'MY'... We used a 5/8 in grosgrain ribbon and folded and tucked it to add dimension.

Take is slow and just continue to fold and adjust the ribbon while you sew till you get the look you like. Lower your needle into the fabric then lift the foot and you can turn your fabric every which way.


5. Cut your fabric for the back of the chair the same size as the front PLUS enough to overlap at the center and to add hook and loop.
About 1 1/2 inch added to the middle of both back pieces should give you enough to have 1 inch overlap and 1/2 in seam allowance.

6. Sorry, no picture: Sandwich, right sides together, the front piece, ric rac and the back of your chair cover (after you have finished off the back center and the bottom 'hem'!) Sew around the outside edge of your sandwich.

If you haven't already added your hook and loop, do it now (you could have also sewn it on when you finished of the back center edge).


WHAA LAA!
Could it be any cuter?

and

27 comments:

Lynn Kellan said...

We could totally adapt this to Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc!

Cole and Christy said...

Could this work for a curved chair?

girl meets carpenter said...

Looks great!

When you say, 'could it be any cuter?' I read that as if Chandler from 'Friends' is saying it :) Are you a 'Friends' fan or are you completely confused right now?!

Thanks for sharing!!

Jena said...

I love this! You girls have the greatest ideas! Very creative and too adorable for words.

Room to Inspire said...

What a great idea to make your special day even more special. My kids would love this! Thanks for the inspiration.

Chelsea

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is darling! I love it. What a special place for your kids to sit when they have a great day.

So cute!

XOOX
Jen

makana said...

I am really loving your site. I am glad to have come across it. I would like to feature you actually. I mostly do things with coupons and groceries etc but I also have a lot of readers and ladies I email that would LOVE the great ideas you have. Let me know what you think.
storeup2008@gmail.com
makana

Kandice said...

I LOVE this idea! Thanks!

Becca said...

man do I love this!!!would you mind if I featured this project on my Blue Cricket Design blog? email me if that's ok?

Becca
bluecricketdesign@gmail.com

Tauni said...

This is so stinkin' cute!!! I love it. I don't know if I am ready to conquer such a project with my limited sewing skills, but I am totally going to bookmark it for the future...this would work so well with the "you are special" plate we use already.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Aww, that is so cute! My sister has a special day plate and the kids love it. I know they'd go crazy over this chair cover. Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell us what font you used and what size? If you printed it out that is :)

Other Mother said...

Clicked over from Little Birdie Secrets. Very cute idea - I think my grandchildren need this!

bcre8uv said...

Super cute! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Came over from "Little Birdie Secrets!" What a precious idea and a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so dang cute! I love it! I think I'm going to try and do this, I have rounded chairs so it might be a little trickier, but I'm going to try! Thanks for the fun idea!

Tasha said...

This so cute!!! I love it. I really want to make one for my family. Thank you!! This is going on my list of must makes!

Nicole said...

Love this! Definitely making one before my kids' birthdays!! Thanks.

Suzy D. said...

How cute is this???
My grandson is turning 4 on 11-16
he would love to have one.
thanks for the tutorial!

Nancy at EmbroideryIt.com said...

Aw..I gotta make one of those.
Great idea!
Nancy

Joan Princing Art said...

This is totally adorable. What a wonderful tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Super cute! and LOVE the tutorial- keep em coming!

Jennifer said...

Not only do I love this I am going to make one!

I have to know where you purchased that fabric. I have been looking for those colors in a stripe pattern for months!
Thanks.
Jennifer
kennifernjenny@gmail.com

Jenni said...

That is absolutely Adorable! I will have to make one very soon as we have a birthday in the next month. Thanks for the inspiration to sew!

Tiffany said...

I have been meaning to post this on mypetitepurse.blogspot.com as a great gift idea! I will be linking!

thanks for the great idea and step-by-step
Tiffany

Giggleberry (Amy) said...

Have loved this for ages and finally got around to making one for my family today! All blogged here: http://giggleberrycreations.blogspot.com/2011/10/its-my-birthday-chair-cover.html Thanks for the how to and inspiration :)

Dwayne Smith said...

At Marble Vine personalised wine bottle bags are available which give our gift a very personal touch. These bags are reusable and can be used later by the recipient of the gift.