Friday, October 10, 2008

Craft Tag

I have a new friend and recently discovered her blog. She started a "craft tag" that I thought was brilliant (especially this time of year when we are all looking for Christmas gift ideas).



Anyway here are the rules
1. Post a project that you have been working on lately or some thing you want to start soon.
2. Include pictures, a few instructions on how to make your fun project/craft idea, or a link to where you found the idea.
3. Then tag a few people to do the same!!




Okay ladies, here's mine. I actually made these awhile ago but I thought I would share this project because I gave some for Christmas gifts and they were a big hit.




I got this idea from a scrapbook store in Utah.
It's a fun way to organize your birthdays. It's a 12 month calendar and you just write the names of your fam and friends on their month/ day and fill the envelopes with cards to pull from when their special day comes.

What you will need:
*13-9x6 vertical white envelopes
*13 sheets of 12x12 scrapbook paper (its fun if you can find paper to fit the season or holiday of that month)
*ribbon to match paper
* adhesive
*Months and days printed on cardstock
*ink/ chalk for edges (optional)
*2 book rings

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cut out your scrapbook paper 5 1/2 in. by 8 1/2 in. and a piece to cover the flap (you may want to trace the flap and make a pattern to trace for all of your pages) Ink edges if desired and add ribbon with glue dots or staples. Glue the papers to 2 envelopes so that as you turn the pages the paper and month line up with the flap opening at the top (refer to the pics).
2. Cut out Months and glue to flap. I used a pop-up glue dot on the first letter of the month to add more dimension.
3. Cut out dates, ink, add any ribbon, and glue to paper,
4. Hole punch the bottom of envelopes (you might want to finish all of the months first and put everything in place before you punch any holes, just to be sure that it flips correctly) and add book rings.

TA-DA! That's it. It's the perfect project for those of you, like me, who have a bunch of scrapbook paper laying around gathering dust.

I TAG : Melissa M., Melissa L., Adrienne, Traci, Heather D., Tiffany, Lacey and anyone else that feels like being creative!
It can be something you've done in the past or would like to do so don't stress out if you don't have something you are working on right now.

Can't wait to see your projects.


29 comments:

Tiffany said...

I am so in love with your blog Kathryn! I haven't had any time to do anything creative or crafty...but I am getting so many ideas from you, so thanks :)

Heather said...

I accept--and can't wait. But I won't get to it until after fall break. Thanks! Loved your idea. what would be great is to get together and get some of these done in bulk!

lacey said...

I'm stilllll thinkingggggg.
Nothing comes as easy to me as you ;)

{amy k.} said...

I think you just inspired a Christmas gift!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

fun idea! I linked at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Ms. Male said...

I love your blog! I am new to the scene but your page is definitely a favorite! Hopefully I can get the hang of making these because I can think of about 10 family members that would love these. Thanks for the ideas!!

tchrtiff said...

Love love love this birthday calendar! I had hubby stop at Staples after dinner tonight so I could buy the envelopes. I'm sitting here cutting all the paper to make this for a friend's birthday next month. I think she'll love it (that is if I don't keep it for myself!)!

Question: Did you print up numbers and lines in a word document? What size did you cut it out at? Will you share yours?

Thanks again!

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

I used my old computer to make these so I no longer have the files but I just used microsoft word and it worked great. I printed out a few until I got it just right. I think I cut them to be about 4x6 so that it had a one inch border on both sides and a little extra on the bottom so i could add ribbon etc. Sorry I don't have the files. Good luck, I hope your friend loves it!

tchrtiff said...

Thanks for replying Kathryn. I'm working on a word document today. This has been so fun to put together! Thanks again for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

I bought my supplies for this the other night and was wondering a few things... First, I saw that you don't have these files any more, but do you remember the fonts you used? And what size are the rings you bought?
And thank you so much for sharing! I am a no-creativity copying-only gal so I love the pics and instructions you share!
And lastly, do you have some ideas of what could go on the front instead of the Birthday Calendar? I'm looking for two suggestions 1)general dates - anniversaries, b-days
2)doing different categories instead of Months (Thank you, B-day adult, B-day kid, New Baby, Wedding, Blank, Congrats, Sympathy, etc.)
I just can't think of anything that sums it up and doesn't sound lame. :)
Love your blog!
Erika

makana said...

I am having some girlfriends over to make these in time for the holidays. Thank you!

thatgirlblogs said...

wish I had seen this before christmas. I'm making one now...

@RestoreMyFamily said...

I love this post! I have been trying to find an idea for making my own b-day calendar. I have one from stampin' up that I just stamped on but wanted to make one myself and this is awesome... cause I love to make cards too and this can hold the cards. Thanks for sharing this!!

Tracey said...

I love your birthday calendar, what a great idea! Can't wait to make one, thanks for sharing.

jenny said...

Love your site.. just started to follow and my first project will be this birthday/card binder. One of my 2011 goals is to craft more and be more organized so i think it will be perfect! However having a little trouble finding these types of envelopes .. any ideas where i can purchase them?
Thanks in advance and Thanks for sharing your creativity it really helps a beginner like myself :o)

Jen @ de Jong Dream House said...

This is a cool take on the uniquely Dutch "verjaardagkalendar" (birthday calendar). It's a brilliant thing I learned about when I married my Dutch hubby. It's traditional kept in the bathroom, where you have a few moments to think of such things :-).

Here's a link to a description I found in English: http://kiwidutch.wordpress.com/tag/verjaardagskalender/

Anonymous said...

Im going to make one but I think I will do the rings on the side instead! Thank you so much for the idea - LOVE IT! :)

jawaugh said...

Did you use 1" or 2" rings?

Anonymous said...

this is a kit put out by bo-bunny scrapbooking. I'm sure that they will be happy that you are sharing this and getting their work out for everyone to see. It came with everything in the kit all ready to put together so I would guess you could get with them to find out what fonts were used.

Unknown said...

Found this on Pinterest. This is such an amazing idea. Keeps you organized and prepared. :))

Anonymous said...

We absolutely love the creativity of this creation! Amazing! Thank you so much for your inspiration and this lovely post!

www.ananasa.com- Home For Handmade

Craftimax said...

I think this is a great idea, but my concern is that flipping the envelopes will cause the holes to tear from use.

Jstander53@gmail.com said...

I so love this idea. I have a stack of A5 envelopes and this is what I am going to do with it. Thank you so, so much for the inspiration.

NY_LUVTOY said...

Awesome Idea! I can wait to play around with this! I have a ton of scrap paper and envelopes I can play with .... Thanks for the awesome idea!

Anonymous said...

You could buy the binder hole reinforcement stickers, if you think the envelopes won't hold up.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! A great way to organize and store all of the different types of cards. I recommend using "special events"

verla said...

Can someone help please?
Can someone direct me to where I can print out months and the dates?

Ann M. said...

I want to make this - think it would be great for selling at the church bazaar, but I have a question. I get the idea of punching at the bottom so when the months are flipped the opening for the cards is at the top. What do you do with the last envelope - turn it around so the solid side is on the outside and the flap is on the inside?

I also have a big trip coming up and was thinking of making one to use as a travel journal. I was going to turn it on its side so it would open as a regular book, Still working out the details.

Anonymous said...

This is so adorable I just love the creativity.