Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Banner Tutorial... finally already!

Okay my friends, I took like a bazillion pictures for this tutorial so it will be super-dooper easy to follow... I hope.


First off, decide what you want your banner to say and pick coordinating paper.
For the letters you have a few options.
If you have a circut then you are LUCKY and you can just cut out your letters with that (about 5 inches tall).
If you are like me then you need some other options:
You can always go to a scrapbooking store that has die cuts and cut your letters or...

You can find your favorite font and print the letters you need (again about 5 inches tall) on cardstock and cut them out and use them as a pattern (don't throw them away so you'll have them again for another banner another day).
That is the method I used for my Halloween banner and although it was more time consuming the banner turned out great.


These are my recent find and are perfect for making banners! I got like 10 packs on clearance at a scrapbooking store here in Louisville. You can buy them online or check out your local scrapbook store to see if they carry them or anything like them.
You also need a pattern for your scalloped circles (again, if you have a cricut then you are LUCKY). I'm including this one so you can use it to make your pattern. Just size it to 6inches and print on cardstock and cut out.
Okay, once you have all the items the rest is easy. Layout your letters... I like to alternate circles and squares.

Decide what papers you want behind each letter and cut the paper into circles or squares.
I just used a lid to trace my circles.

I like to have a solid color behind the paper to pull it all together. For this banner I chose a dark brown. Cut it big enough to create a border around the paper. I also like to round the corners on the squares.

Now pull out your distressing ink or stamp pads or chalk or even paint and use it on the edges to give your paper a finished look.

Almost done... doesn't it look pretty?!
Now pull out your eyelets... I only have 2million of those little guys... and put two in the top corners of the paper to hang the letters on the string. If you don't have eyelets just use a hole punch.
Now glue...tape... adhere all of your letters and papers so that they are secure.
Pull your string through the letters and then I like to hang it up to add the ribbons so I can space the letters and stand back and look at the colors I need.
I like to pick lot's of bright colors of ribbons and just tie them with a square knot.

Someone asked how I hang the banner. I don't do anything fancy, I just use a little clear packing tape and then I tape the ends of the string under some heavy vases I have on the mantel so they hold it in place.
If you have another idea of how to hang the banner please share in the comments.

And there you go! Too cute!
Okay Spring... I've got my banner up to welcome you... I'm ready... Spring?

26 comments:

Melissa said...

great tutorial!! You made it seem easy enough that I could probably even make one!

Melissa {polkadot chair} said...

Thanks for posting this..There are a few things that I didn't think of... I love the idea of inking the edges...
btw... you are welcome to borrow my cricut anytime you want.. I don't use it everyday.. just when the mood "strikes"..

Kari Sweeten said...

Kathryn, I love this tutorial! I really haven't been into the banner fad, but this one is soooo cute! I'm definitely going to make one-thanks for the inspiration!

Tiffany said...

So cute!!! And you thought you wouldn't have time to craft :)

blairsblog6 said...

Thank you so much! I'm going to look for those chip board letters tomorrow! Another idea--the Arts Center here in Crestwood has a Resource center with die cuts and lots of free heavy paper. I went and die cut every letter in several of their alphabets. Your tutorial was very specific. Now I'm all ready to go! Thanks again!

adrienne said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to make one.

Connie Babe said...

Thank you...Thank you...I will make one now....!!!

You were one of the people I was thinking of yesterday when I was making the cupcake pops...I posted pictures yesterday on my blog, check it out... :)

Jessica said...

Thank you! I love it and it looks super easy. One question - Do you do two eyelets per letter so they don't turn sideways?

I'm adding this to my project list.

Controlling My Chaos said...

So cute. I'm going to have to do this. Great tutorial.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is SOOO gorgeous! I'm so glad you shared the how to! I would love to link to it if you didn't mind.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm filing it away for an upcoming birthday party.

Cherry Blossoms said...

I am in awe of you! I just spent two hours working on a banner of my own and it turned out so bad...oh well...I guess I should leave creating to the professional!

Cassie said...

Super cute and SO easy to follow!! Thanks so much!!!
:)

Unknown said...

Thank you! You inspired me to make a banner for my daughter's birthday in a couple of weeks. Check out my blog to see it!

SarahJarnagin said...

Great tutorial!!! This is one DARLING banner! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is just darling! Thanks for the detailed instructions. It would be perfect for other holidays too--can't wait to try it!

Mariel said...

Very cute! I love your ideas! Check out some of ours over at www.oneshetwoshe.blogspot.com.

Mariel

SoSoBella said...

oh my gosh i just love that banner. the scallop edge? do you cut those out one by one? i have the cricket by have no idea which cartridge has that scallop edge.
i love your banner. its great!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Cute cute cute! Thanks for the tutorial. I'm ready to get out m supplies now.

momof3girls said...

thanks for the tutorial! Found your blog from "My little Gems" blog, she referenced your tutorial - soo very lovely!

Rachel Moss said...

Thank you so much! I am going to attempt a banner with my daughter's name for her nursery. I love that you can make two banners at "once" this way!

Rachel Moss said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! Since coming across it, I have already made two banners and am currently working on three more.
I've looked everywhere for those chipboard letters you used with no luck...you hit the jackpot with those!

Tanya Cunningham said...

This is a great tutorial.. I found it on a friends pinterst page..

The Jones' said...

Did you cut out each scallop edge or use a tool?

Banner Stands said...

Great tutorial for banners to compliment your display.

Triumfo Inc said...

very nice posting keep it. I am supporting you and you want Event service so plz contact my backend team custom trade show exhibit design trade show exhibit design