Sunday, March 8, 2009

My first curtain

My mother is a seamstress, I am not. I have been making an effort lately though and have really enjoyed becoming familiar with my sewing machine.

My daughters brightly colored nursery needed a brightly colored window treatment and I thought to myself... 'Self, I bet you could whip up a little somethin' to dress this place up!'

I managed to make the entire thing without unpicking even one stitch! I was off to bed feeling very tired (1:00am) and very proud of myself.

THEN IT HIT ME (while casually brushing my teeth) ...


I made it about 2 inches to short (width wise) ARGGG! ARGGGG!!

I WAS going to rectify the problem (so much for no unpicking) but my wonderful mom convinced me that is was fine just the way it was and that no one would ever notice.

So now that I have drawn your attention to it... can you tell?

Way before: After:

(the room desperately needs a cozy chair and some other touches to warm it up but it is a work in progress. I am unbelievably slow when it comes to these kinds of things and I'm cheap so it will have to wait until I find a steal of a deal on just the right chair.)


The moral of this story: Window treatment, not nearly as intimidating as I thought!

Here are a couple more pictures of the mostly completed nursery.




**Melissa**

17 comments:

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I love the color! Is that raspberry? I was going to do that color if my son was a girl! ;) The window looks great!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Great job on the adorable striped window treatment. I'm sure your mom was proud. : )
By the way...did you paint the polka dots on the yellow wall or is that wallpaper?
If you look in my archives under, 'Sara's Room Makeover' you'll see how we stenciled huge damask designs on two of her walls. I was curious if you stenciled too.
Also, the Nursery looks adorable. I love the three pictures above the crib. : )

designdazzle.blogspot.com said...

Darling nursery. Would like to feature your nursery and art on my blog. please let me know if you are interested- thanks bunches:)
toni(at)designdazzle(dot)com

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

Oh, Melissa it turned out super cute! I bet Avery is lovin her bright nursery. And seriously the curtain fits in perfectly... good choice.

That Girl said...

oh that is adorable!

Jessica said...

It is adorable! I love the polka dots. I also want to know how you did them. The curtain turned out lovely.

Crystal said...

Very cute nursery. I love the bright colors and the curtain turned out great.

Melissa said...

Thank you for all the sweet comments! To answer your questions, the red is licorice stick by Behr and for the polka dot wall, i just traced around a lid with pencil and then painted around them with yellow (the wall was already white). It was actually really fun to do!
**Melissa**

Melissa said...

I can't even tell its too short.

What I want to know is how to make that cute patchwork bumper!

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

That is adorable. If you hadn't pointed it out, nobody would notice. Actually, I can't tell even though you pointed it out!
Love it!!!

Lesley said...

I thought your curtain was perfect! As G'pa Marsden would say after a successful project completed, "it looks like it grew there."

Wendy said...

LoVe it great color choices!!!

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, but WOW! Your crib bedding is gorgeous. Did you make it? If yes, can you share info about the fabrics, or post more pictures of it (or direct me to another post with more?) I'm in the process of making everything for my little one's nursery-to-be, so the help is appreciated!!

Melissa said...

Andrea,
I did make the bedding, I have NO idea who the fabric is by but I got the main striped fabric at JoAnns (in the back on the rolls) and the rest was purchased at either JoAnns or Hancocks. Email me at lissylulaw@yahoo.com and I can send you more close ups.

The Barrow Bunch said...

Melissa,
I am with Andera, love the bedding! Expecting a baby boy in July and want to make new bedding. Would love directions and close ups. Love you and your sister's blog:)!!!!!!

{amy k.} said...

I LOVE THIS!!! The bedding and the paintings above the crib- did you make or buy those? The window treatment looks great and I love the bright colors.

Jenny Lynn said...

I would LOVE to know how you made the curtain! It's so cute and I've been looking into making that style but I'm not sure how (I'm just starting to sew too)!