Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Power of the Mind

I know, kind of a deep title for a craft blog but it's so true! The mind is a powerful thing.

I am a big believer in the power of ones thoughts. When I find myself thinking negatively my actions always follow (apathy, frustration, impatience etc.) and visa-versa.

I've found in my life if I tell myself I am capable, smart, strong etc. I become those things. It is not "the secret" it's the truth and really I think it's, in a way, showing my Heavenly Father gratitude for the body/ mind He has given me by being positive with myself.


I recently found myself saying "I can't" A LOT. "I can't make bread" or "I can't sew" or "I can't keep up with 4 kids!!!"


I tell my kids all the time "you become what you think" and here I was "thinking" that I was incapable. So it hit me one day, I CAN do those things. I may not be GOOD at them but the only way to get good at them is to keep doing it!

I know, I know, this is totally elementary. Like I said, I tell my kids this ALL OF THE TIME. But, do you ever find yourself saying "I can't" almost like you were made out of a different mold;

"I'm not crafty", "I can't cook", "I have no patience"(a favorite of mine), "I can't lose weight" and on and on.

Made these the other day for the first time ever:

I CAN make bread and I CAN sew!

(the bread was kinda dry and luckily you can't see the seam where I accidentally measured the fabric wrong... I didn't say I CAN do it perfectly. lol)


The power of positive thinking my friends. believe it

.....I CAN handle 4 kids. I CAN handle 4 kids. I CAN handle 4 kids.....



17 comments:

Amy Green @ Sweet Home Amy said...

The bread looks yummy! And the curtain is gorgeous! Great job! You definitely CAN! :)

Tiffany said...

"Can!" - Buzz Lightyear ;)

I think once you redefine what "handle 4 kids" means, you will realize you are already doing a beautiful job :)

Dave and Emily said...

Your amazing! I think that you are so creative and talented and inspiritng! Yes you can do it! You can make lazy bottoms like me want to get up and do something amazing! Keep posting!

Christy said...

I absolutely agree, I just don't practice it as much as I could. And since I absolutely agree I choose to say, "I don't sew" instead. :) LOL!

That Girl said...

great post!

Becca @ The Texas Darlings said...

Wow- those curtains look FANTASTIC!!

Of course you can silly!

~Becca

Jessica said...

What a great reminder. Thanks. I've been thinking about this today, how yor attitude makes a huge difference. Love the curtains!

adrienne said...

Thank you so much, Kathryn! I really needed to be reminded of this right now. Even across the country you still manage to uplift me! :)

Jamielyn said...

Love your blog...on my list to do is make a banner and the 30 meals! Curtains turned out really cute! You're awesome! Oh and where did you get that blue car in the nursery? I have been looking everywhere for one like that! :)

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

I bought the car in the nursery at Michaels awhile back. It was black and I spray-painted it tourquios to match. I love it now.
ps I don't think I spelled tourquois correctly....again. lol

Unknown said...

I feel the same way...too much negative...brings on too much negative...Positive bring more positive...

WTG on seeing your potential!!

Amber said...

I think most moms can relate! I seem to get like this when I am overwhelmed with too much going on. So, I try to stop and refocus on what matters. Thanks for the reminder and I love the curtains! I just started making bread recently. I did my second attempt at making pizza dough (first was good). So, I thought I would try "deep dish". LOL. Looked like a bread bowl with pizza toppings in the middle!!! But, I tried ;) Amber

Controlling My Chaos said...

Hi Kathryn!

I'm still over here ignoring my family because I'm playing with my Cricut, but it's okay, I forgive you. :)

Yes, you CAN cut vinyl with the Cricut. I'm looking forward to giving that a try after I have a little more experience. The possibilities are endless . . .

Have a great Mother's Day and enjoy your digital video camera . . . even if it isn't a Cricut, there's always next year. :)

MaRiN said...

Love the fabric on your curtains!

M and M Madsen said...

Great post. Great reminder for me. One of my favorite sayings is Change your thoughts and you can Change your world!

Anonymous said...

So I just discovered this blog from another decorating blog and I've read the entire thing today! I'm in love with the curtain fabric on today's post. Any idea what company that's from or what pattern it is? I have a window that's begging for it!

Kathryn-nannygoat said...

I'm so sorry, I have no idea who made the fabric. I bought it at Hancock here in Louisville. It was hanging in the back on the big rolls with all of the "home decor" type fabrics.
I didn't use a pattern. I just cut a square a little wider than my window then hemmed all the sides and folded the top over to fit the curtain rod and sewed that and used ribbon to tie it up.
Hope that helps.
Good luck!