Monday, December 14, 2009

Make your own christmas cards quick and easy

Every year I have grand plans of getting a professional photo taken of our family in the fall and then using those lovely photos for our Christmas cards but it seems like every year things get crazy (or I'm pregnant and we don't need any pictures of THAT) and it just doesn't happen. Well, this year it "didn't happen" again and last week I had to come up with something quick.

I thought I'd share with you what I did just in case you are in a similar situation... it's not too late to get a great Christmas card out.

First I bought a Santa hat from The Dollar store then I found the spot in my house with the most natural light. We are lucky to have a lot of big windows in our home so natural light is easy to come by. I created a back drop with a white sheet and took pictures (turn OFF the flash on your camera... you will get much better pictures with natural light and no flash) of each of my kids wearing the Santa hat.

The pictures looked something like this:
Then I used this tutorial for selective colorization.
Now you can just take this photo to Costco (or snapfish or whatever) and use one of their cards OR you can easily create your own card using photoshop/ elements like I did.

I LOVE this site for FREE digital scrapbooking kits and she just posted a beautiful Christmas kit you could use for your card. When your all done just print them out at your photo store (I paid 13 cents for each card, WAHOO!).


BTW- If you are wanting to learn more about how to use your digital camera or how to take better pictures (who doesn't want to take better pictures?!) my dad has a great photography blog in fact it's The World's Best Photography Blog . ;)

He used to own a photography studio now he just shares his expertise and photos on this blog.

Check out 10 Cool Features of your Digital Camera you Should Learn and Use. He goes into detail about each feature and has a lot of photos to illustrate!

11 comments:

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

oh my! so cute! THANKS! I actually just did this with a photo! I have NEVER understood photo shop layering, until I watched that wonderful video! Not that I will remember what to do tomorrow, but today, it worked! Later today I will check out your dad's site! Thanks again for sharing this!
cute, cute, cute, cute kiddos!
gail

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

Great card!!!! And thanks for the link to your dad's site, I just got a new camera and this will be perfect!

Scott Law said...

I was posting to my blog today and I saw several new followers. When I went to look at them I thought immediately that they must have come from your blog and that you must have written something to send them over. I looked at my count and it definitely set a new record. You are a woman of influence. Thanks for the plug. I will try to live up to your and their expectations and bring something worthwhile to my blog on a regular basis.

Love!
Dad

Leslie said...

Love these pictures! Cute and creative! Thanks for the link, too, because I would love to learn more about my camera.

craftykitty said...

That card is absolutely beautiful!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for sharing your adorable card, great photography & editing work and gorgeous subjects.

Melissa said...

They are so cute Kathryn! Maybe next year I will try to get creative and make my own...this year however as you have probably seen, Costco.

Jean said...

Check Out 5 Best and Inexpensive Digital Cameras as Christmas Gifts

Totallyscrappy said...

Wonderful tips and cute card!

Stef said...

Thanks for the inspiration!
I love this tutorial on taking photos of quilts:
http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/index.htm

Plastic business cards said...

Christmas cards purchased in substantial quantities and illustration business objectives and appropriate for the season.